STOPP 8 - STRANDGATEN
From the church the walk goes out Strandgaten with its closely-built and varied buildings. Strandgaten was previously the town’s main street. It came into being after a zoning plan made in 1843. In that year, there was a great fire that left in ashes all the buildings from the area near the church and beyond along the shore. ⅔ of the city was lost with a total of 92 residential buildings in addition to seahouses and stalls.
During the reconstruction, the burned area was zoned according to Renaissance city principles, and the city received a modern urban plan following a grid model, with straight streets in a uniform checkerboard pattern. Towards the sea lay the merchants' and shipowners' properties, while sailors, craftsmen, etc., resided on the slope on the opposite side of the street.
STOPP 9 - SKRIVERBRYGGA
We can then take a side trip down to Skriverbrygga and get an overview of Egersund's inner harbor. The city's façade towards the sea clearly reflects the importance that fishing and shipping have had. Here we still find boathouses built during the rich herring fisheries of the 19th century, and we find a trading company that was established to serve the shipping industry.
The city attaches great importance to retaining this historic identity, and we strive to give new buildings in this environment the shape and dimensions traditions require. On the other side of Vågen are fish processing companies and other businesses.
STOPP 10 - FEYLINGSBUA
From Skriverbrygga we continue out along Strandgaten. On the left side, at number 49, we see the building that until 1987 was the municipality's administrative building. A little further along, at the corner with Brattegate, we find at number 48 the location of the Feylingsbua Foundation - a location that provides an authentic picture of a seaside residence from the last century and which has now been developed as a coastal culture center.
STOPP 11 - STRANDGATEN 43
On the other side of the street is the town's only protected residential building - Strandgaten 43. Strandgaten 41 and 58 are also protected. After admiring this building with its «gossip mirror» - one can sit in the living room and have full view of street life in both directions - and its well-preserved classical entrances, we go up Brattegaten to Nygaten.
STOPP 12 - THE BILSTAD HOUSE: NYGATEN 14 (11)
This house, like most others in the area, is also built just after the fire of 1843. What makes this special is that it still stands as it was built, with original siding, windows and roofing. There was a sailmaker’s workshop in the wing of the house along Øvre Bekkegate. This is still intact, and the tools used in the business are also still in place. On the property is also a small hay barn with a cowshed - it was very common in the 19th century that townsfolk kept livestock. The Bilstad House is owned now by Dalane Folkemuseum where tours can be arranged.
STOPP 13 - SKRIVERALLMENINGEN
If we continue in Nygaten towards the city center, we soon come to Skriverallmenningen which got its name because the district magistrate lived by it in the 1840s. Just opposite, we see the old school building. There has been a school here since the building was constructed after the fire, first a primary school and later a secondary school.
Skriverallmenningen has its width and straightness because it was intended to act as a fire break. A useful lesson from the city fire was that there should be a good distance between the buildings in some places, so that one could more easily limit a fire if a catastrophe should occur once again. A row of linden trees have been planted down the middle of the street.
STOPP 14 - PEDER CLAUSENS GATE
We continue up Årstadgaten to Peder Clausens gate. The reason that Egersund also has its Peder Clausens gate is that Peder Clausen Friis was born here in 1545. He is known for his historical-geographical writings and for his translation of Snorre’s Heimskringla saga.
STOP 15 - PRISCILLA PRESLEYS PLASS
A star placed on the ground in the uppermost part of Kirkegaten indicates the Priscilla Presley square. Her grandfather grew up in the white house beside it (look for the blue sign).
STOPP 16 - JOHAN FEYERS GATE
We continue up Årstadgaten to Johan Feyers gate, which like Skriverallmenningen is also zoned as a fire break street.
The street is named after Johan Feyer who founded the Egersund Pottery Factory.
If we look down Johan Feyers gate we will see Storgaten 12, which was restored and put into use as a hotel in 1995. Peder Clausens gate empties into Lerviksbakken, the third fire break street in the town. At the bottom of the hill we see Kjell Grette Christensen’s sculpture «The girl with harmonica».