STOPP 1 - TOURIST INFORMATION
Egersund town with its approx. 11,000 inhabitants is the natural center both in the municipality of Eigersund (approx.15,000 inhabitants) and the Dalane region, which also consists of the municipalities Bjerkreim, Lund and Sokndal. The name Eigersund comes from the Old Norse name for the sound between the island Eigerøy and the mainland: Eikundarsund (Eikund means the island that has many oaks).
Fishing has always meant a lot for the population of the city and the coastal district. The shipping industry was also important in the past, but it disappeared along with sailing ships. Today it is trade and service that characterize Egersund city center, while industrial and craft enterprises are located in areas around the city.
STOPP 2 - EGERSUND FAIENCE (POTTERY) MUSEUM
The clay at Eigerøy was the basis for the large faience (glazed earthenware pottery) industry in Egersund. The factory Egersunds Potteri, established by Johan Feyer in 1847, was in operation for 132 years. Many fine examples of the production are displayed at Egersund Fayancemuseum, which is located in the center of the city - in the same place where the old factory was located. In addition to exhibitions and installations related to the industry's history, the museum offers a variety of special events.
STOPP 3 - MAGMA GEOPARK AND THE DAIRY
The dairy in Elvegaten was the second dairy in Egersund after the old dairy in Johan Feyers gate had too little capacity. The dairy was completed in 1929, with 185 shareholders and about 900 cows. In 1956, production was expanded, and by the end of the 1990s only finished bottled milk was distributed until 1997 when the dairy was shut down.
Crown Princess Mette Marit has roots from here; her mother was born and lived by the old dairy. Her grandfather was dairy manager. Today, the offices of Magma Geopark are located in the old building of Egersund Dairy. Information is available in Magma Geopark's premises and the tourist information as well as their websites and app.
STOPP 4 - ELVEGATEN
Egersund with its closely built wooden houses and with its past use of open fireplaces has been subject to 6 larger and smaller city fires in the years 1817, 1843, 1859, 1862 and 1961. Three of these fires inflicted such extensive damage to the city that physical changes were subsequently made to the design of the city to prevent similar events from occurring again. Through new zoning plans in 1843, 1859 and 1962, focus was placed on easier traffic and improved fire safety.
Until the 1900s, the wooden buildings were colorful and only a few of the houses were painted white. Until cheaper zinc-based paint came on the market, lead-based white was the most expensive color and was used by the rich and affluent. When the white color became cheap, it became a color everyone wanted. However, Egersund was characterized by industry from the 1840s and the smoke from the factory laid a soot coating on white painted houses. Because of the pottery factory, Egersund was never a white city, but retained its varied and exciting color scheme.
STOPP 5 - LERVIKA
From Lerviksbakken we come down to Lervik where several boathouses show where the shoreline was in the old days. Today the square in front of the boathouses is officially known as Nytorget. From here we go along one of the boathouses up to Storgaten.
STOPP 6 - GRISETORGET (THE PIG MARKET) AND HAUEN
In ending, we will go through Haugen, Egersund's «medieval town». Although the buildings here over the years have certainly undergone continual changes, the lots are the same as when the area was developed, probably in the period 1750-1800. Haugen has grown up by itself, developed according to need and use, not according to a city plan. Here there were homes, outbuildings, workshops, hay barns and cow barns in perfect harmony. The area was seriously threatened by demolition in the late 70s, but now appears in rehabilitated form with businesses, pubs, etc.
STOPP 7 - EGERSUND CHURCH
There has been a church in Egersund already in early Christian times. In the Middle Ages there were two churches here, St. Maria Church and St. Laurenti Chapel. St. Maria Church probably stood in the same place as Egersund Church. This has always been a sacred place. Here there was a pier already in the Viking era, and here stood the king's tax building where taxes and fees were paid and where the Viking ship lay that was assigned to coastal defense.
The church is the city's oldest remaining building - it has been shown that parts of it are from the 1620s. It got its present appearance in 1785-88, after extensive construction work had been completed. Inside it has been changed several times since then, including the balconies that were built as the population increased. In 1888 it was Rogaland's second largest church with 1160 seats.