Dalane Folk Museum
Dalane Folk Museum was founded in 1910, and was located in the first years at Årstad in Egersund. In 1935 the museum moved to Slettebø, 3 kilometers from downtown Egersund. Here you will also find the museum's administration building. The core of the original facility is District Magistrate Feyer’s old country estate with main building, farm manager’s residence and wagon shed from the 1850s, and a gazebo from the 1830s.
The gazebo was refurbished and painted in the original colors in connection with the 200th anniversary of Norway's constitution in 2014.
During World War II, the occupation power established a military camp at Slettebø. The museum's crafts department and agriculture department are housed in buildings dating from this period.
The museum has rich and extensive collections at Slettebø. We can especially mention the beautiful collection of quality cast iron stoves and ovens from the 1600s and 1700s and farming tools and vehicles from the 1800's. The museum has workshops for several types of crafts, including spinning wheel maker, watchmaker, comb maker, cooper, carpenter and wooden clog maker.
The museum's facilities at Slettebø also include a schoolhouse from the 1890s and a storehouse on pillars from the 1700s. In 2000, the area was further expanded when the museum took over the administration building from the former institution Bakkebø. The building from 1955 was designed by Odd Brochmann. It is now refurbished and today houses offices, photo collection, library, workshops, archives and magazines.
Mid-June to mid-August; every day 11:00-17:00
Mid-August to mid-June; closed. Inquiries to the museum reception.
See also: www.dalanefolkemuseum.no